Loading

11.26.2007

Rosemary Olive Buffalo Burgers [Low Carb] [Paleo]



Burgers:
1 lb ground bison (local if possible)
1 T. extra virgin olive oil (since grass fed meat is very lean)
1/4 c. pimento-stuffed olives
2 large jalapeƱos with seeds, sliced
3 sundried tomatoes, chopped
1 free range egg (optional- it holds together fine without egg or gf breadcrumbs)

Seasonings:
sea salt and pepper
2 T. crushed red pepper
1 T. garlic powder
a few cloves of fresh garlic, minced
dried rosemary
dash tarragon

Sides (Optional):
fresh sliced tomato
fresh collard leaves for "bun"
cayenne-spiced sauteed chopped celery

To make burgers:
Slice the peppers and chop the sundried tomatoes. I used kitchen shears to chop my tomatoes. Mix fresh or defrosted meat, the minced garlic, seasonings, olive oil, peppers, tomatoes, and egg (if the egg is included). Pat meat mixture into 4-6 patties and grill 3-5 minutes. Remember that grass fed buffalo meat is very lean and requires significantly less cooking time than normal meat; keep a close eye on it. These cook great on the grill or in a pan with a lid for quicker cooking. If you like your burgers medium or rare as I do, then pay special attention to cooking time and remove burgers when they are still raw inside - they will continue to cook afterwards.

Serve with sides of your choice. Since I prefer my meat on the less dead side (there are more enzymes which have not been destroyed by cooking and it tastes better to me!), I like these burgers best fresh. They do fine as reheated leftovers, but nothing really compares to a fresh juicy burger! If you like a tangy flavor, drizzle some gluten free and corn syrup free bbq sauce over the burgers. I use the Kraft light bbq sauce since it is gluten and dairy free. It also does not have any corn syrup or high fructose corn syrup, but it does have sucralose. If you can muster the strength (and spare time), making your own bbq sauce is easy and a good way of ensuring no bad ingredients are used. I will make my own sauce in the future, but for now I'm too busy.

Serves: 4-6


This recipe is dairy free and gluten free.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I did a search for Paleo Buffalo Burgers, and when I saw your picture, knew your recipe would be my inspiration! I made a few changes to accommodate what I had on hand, and when my husband finished eating, he said that was the best burger he has ever had. He's 54 years old, so that's saying something! Thanks for the fantastic recipe!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to comment :) Your comments help drive this healthy gluten free community.

As a token of our appreciation, our blog is DoFollow. In addition, as a top commentator, your blog/website will be linked on our frontpage. Thus, your comments here benefit your website, our website, and, ultimately, celiac awareness.

Blessed be,
Cindy